On September 29th, 2017 the global coalition of progressive Muslims - Alliance of Inclusive Muslims, or AIM, was officially launched.
Meeting at a beautiful resort in Hammamet, Tunisia, member organizations from Latin America to Malaysia gathered to approve AIM’s bylaws and constitution, draft a three-year strategic plan, and elect the following individuals to its Board of Directors:
Chair: Mr. Aizat Shamsuddin (Malaysia)
Vice-Chair: Ms. Fenna ten Berge (The Netherlands)
Secretary: Ms. Supna Zaidi (U.S.A.)
Deputy Secretary: Mr. Bukuru Elie (Burundi)
Treasurer: Ms. Ani Zonneveld (U.S.A.)
Joining as Adviser to the Board is Mr. Frej Fenniche, the recently retired Chief of Asia, Pacific, Middle East and North Africa Branch at the U.N. office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, based in Geneva.
AIM is a collective of progressive Muslims across all nationality, race and sectarian affiliation. The purpose of AIM is to consolidate the efforts of progressive Muslims and progressive Muslim organizations from around the world in order to counter radical, intolerant and supremacist attitudes and behaviours in Muslim communities. AIM seeks to challenge theological justifications for hate and supremacism with the progressive values that we feel to be inherent in Islam, namely:
- Human Rights and Dignity for All; advocating for the recognition of each individual’s equal worth in society and equal protection under the law.
- Freedom of Expression – advocates for freedom of expression and freedom of dissent. No one should be legally prosecuted, imprisoned or detained for declaring or promoting unpopular opinions whether political, artistic, social or religious, even when said expression may be offensive or afore-mentioned dissent may be considered blasphemous.
- Freedom of/from Religion – to uphold the Qu’ranic mandate “let there be no compulsion in religion” (Q:2:256), that freedom of conscience is not only essential to all human societies, but integral to the Qu’ranic view of humanity.
- To register AIM as a human rights civil society organization in Geneva.
- To represent member organizations at the global stage such as the United Nations both in New York and in Geneva, the European Union and where-ever necessary.
- To secure funding, administer and implement approved programming by member organizations globally.
This international alliance is committed to working together, for the betterment of our society. Whether as individuals or as organizations, we recognize that we can only effect positive change if we come together as a collective.
Those identified as Muslim and who share our values are invited to join AIM. Sign on and we will keep you informed on our second international conference we are planning for September 2018!