The event will share and discuss grassroots and state-level initiatives underway in changing societal mindsets on gender equality, human rights and women’s empowerment and participation in Muslim societies, particularly in working within the Islamic framework to reform discriminatory legislation and to counter harmful cultural practices.
Three case studies will be explored:
1) The unique work on gender equality carried out by women spiritual leaders called “Morchidats” in Morocco.
2) UNFPA Morocco’s work in advocating for youth-specific policies, services and information, sexual and reproductive health, and gender equality
3) MPV’s global initiative #ImamsForShe that collaborates with religious leaders in debunking misogynist interpretations of Islamic Scripture.
The event will examine ways to foster these multi-faceted approaches to sustainably deconstruct patriarchal structures and build societies based on peace and gender parity.
Women’s full access to meaningful participation in all realms of societal, economic and political life - as called for by the Women, Peace and Security Agenda - is only possible when the causes for gender discrimination and violence are dealt with at their root.
- Opening Remarks: Dr. Azza Karam (UNFPA Senior Advisor, Culture and Coordinator of the UN Inter-Agency Task Force on Religion and Development)
- Speaker: Rosa Rogers, Filmmaker and Director of Casablanca Calling (via Skype)
- Speaker: Dr. Hind Jalal (UNFPA Morocco Program Specialist and Gender Mainstreaming) (via Skype)
- Moderator/Speaker: Ani Zonneveld, President and Founder of Muslims for Progressive Values (MPV)